Logistics & Supply Chain
- £150,000 + benefits + bonus + LTIP
Our client is an established FTSE250 Group, with an impressive growth record over the past 15 years. The Group provides high margin B2B products and services to a wide range of Blue Chip clients around the globe. The management team continues to deliver a clear strategy of operational excellence to maximise returns from existing businesses, along with a sophisticated M&A agenda.
This is a leadership role for one of the Group's main Business Units, working side by the Business Unit CEO, providing key input into the development and delivery of the BU strategy, budgets and targets. This is a highly commercial role, working closely with and challenging the businesses in order to drive financial performance and providing a financial framework and analysis for sound commercial decision making. The FD needs to be extremely curious about the various businesses across the BU; their value propositions, their business models and their strategies.
The FD is responsible for developing finance capability across the BU, ensuring that finance teams are structured effectively and have the right individuals in place, working with the businesses on finance development and succession planning.
The role needs to critically evaluate performance and provide leadership and assistance to ensure that performance targets and goals continue to be achieved, devising action plans as needed, and managing working capital.
The FD will provide leadership and direct operational input on strategic business projects in order to ensure these are properly scoped, financial impact is evaluated, risks identified and managed, working closely with the Business Unit CEO, the business itself and senior management at Group HQ.
The successful candidate will also play an important role in executing the Group’s M&A agenda by evaluating acquisition targets for financial and strategic fit, working alongside the Business Unit CEO and the Business Development Director. Depending on acquisition size, the FD will either perform or oversee performance of financial due diligence procedures.
The FD is also responsible for high standards in financial controls and reporting, with oversight of Business Unit financial control and governance matters, including foreign currency hedging, tax, certain risk management activities and insurance matters. The position has responsibility for managing certain support functions and services, currently located overseas, so a key success factor is the ability to work remotely and to build trusting relationships with the businesses, to provide support as well as challenge.
- Strategic partner to the CEO
- Business and strategic planning for the Business Unit, providing oversight and input to the businesses as required
- Critical evaluation of financial data including KPIs and external data e.g. market trend data; providing analysis, insight and action
- Custodian of performance management, taking accountability for continuous performance improvement
- Setting and overseeing the control environment
- Building high levels of finance capability across the Business Unit
- Delivering the reporting requirements of the PLC
- Risk management for the Business Unit
- Optimising technology and delivering technology enabled change
- Taking a leadership role on strategic change projects
- Performing or overseeing financial due diligence on acquisition targets
- Identifying and executing foreign currency hedging requirements
- Management of support function & compliance matters
- Broader activities as requested by the Business Unit CEO or Group CFO
- Qualified accountant; strong intellect and academics
- Deliver high standards of financial management and rigour
- Significant industry experience in operational finance roles, including experience in a business of scale, to be able to understand and provide guidance in terms of what ‘good looks like’
- Healthcare/Pharmaceutical/Medical Product experience is an advantage
- Excellent at building relationships, managing remotely and a strong communicator at all levels
- Very driven – never content with performance, always looking for continuous improvement
- Very analytical, hands-on and commercial
- Likes change, varied environments, travel and can cope with a varied brief
- Brings a structured approach but retains high level of flexibility (with ability to work across time zones and manage workload accordingly).
- Ability to switch between business level detail and sector level trends - able to both ‘reach down into the weeds’ and take a ‘helicopter view’
- Has taken a leadership role in projects (systems, people, other)
- Technology and systems implementations
To apply for this role, please use the Apply button, or alternatively, contact Justin Dunner quoting reference JD51331.
The role will be based in London but will include significant travel across Europe and transatlantic, including multi-week stints for the first year or two.
Please note that due to the expected volume of applications, we will only be able to respond to those candidates whose experience matches the requirements of our client. We are sorry, but if you have not heard from us within the next ten days, please assume you have been unsuccessful on this occasion.
Walker Hamill has been a specialist finance and strategy recruiter for 30 years. We have an extensive client group, including major multinational listed organisations, private equity-backed businesses and privately-owned companies. We recruit across all sectors and have particularly strong client relationships in media, retail, pharma/biotech, technology, property/real estate, leisure and business services. Headquartered in London, we have additional offices in continental Europe. For more information, please see www.walkerhamill.com.