Art Gallery Group
- Central London
- c. £50,000 + benefits
Our client is a leading name in the art gallery world. The business operates in a number of countries and continues to perform well under the experienced management team.
The Accountant is responsible for maintaining the proper books and records for the European gallery operations. They will work directly with the gallery sales staff to review transactions including invoice preparation and monitoring of collections. They will also coordinate closely with the US finance team to coordinate payments to artists and consignors. The Accountant will also maintain the general accounting and payroll processes for the European galleries including payables transaction entries, recording monthly journal entries and account reconciliations, coordinating payroll with outside provider, preparing and filing VAT returns, and preparing monthly financial reports and analysis. They will be required to maintain well-documented accounting records and help create processes to enhance internal controls. The role works closely with Auditors coordinating the year end audit and related procedures.
- Issue sales invoices for artwork and re-bills and accurately reflect such with entries in sub-ledgers.
- Full Cycle Accounts Payable – Audit for appropriate approvals; determine GL coding; enter. payables invoices; and process weekly payment runs.
- Investigate and resolve any issues with art purchases, artist reimbursable costs and production costs.
- Enter all cash deposits and issue daily reports of customer receipts for executive and sales staff.
- Perform timely, accurate monthly closings of sales, payables, inventory and support with detailed reconciliations and schedules.
- Prepare daily and monthly bank reconciliations.
- Administer credit card programs and process monthly corporate credit card transactions – coordinate with users and enter into accounting systems and records.
- Produce monthly reporting and analysis for financial closings, management reporting and artist accountings.
- Maintain and report on retail and import VAT for monthly reconciliations and quarterly returns and income taxes.
- Coordinate monthly payroll processing with third party service and manage all regulatory filings.
- Actively participate and coordinate external financial audits and tax returns.
- Ad hoc projects and reporting.
- Partner with Gallery management and operations, as needed.
- Professional accounting qualification.- Finance experience gained in a gallery, auction house or similar industry. - Experience with multi-currency transactions.- Disciplined and independent work ethic.- High level of integrity and confidentiality as will be handling sensitive information.
To apply for this role, please use the Apply button.
Please note that due to the expected volume of applications we will only be able to respond to those candidates whose experience matches the requirements of our client. If you have not heard from us within the next ten days, please assume you have been unsuccessful on this occasion.
Walker Hamill has been a specialist finance and strategy recruiter for 30 years. We have an extensive client group, including major multinational listed organisations, private equity backed businesses and privately owned companies. We recruit across all sectors and have particularly strong client relationships in media, retail, pharma/biotech, technology, property/real estate, leisure and business services. Headquartered in London, we have additional offices in continental Europe.