Newly-qualified Financial Accountant, Banking
Tier One Investment Bank
- Temporary & Contract
- London, UK
- Circa £290 per day, PAYE
Our client is a leading global investment bank with offices based in the City of London. They are seeking a newly-qualified or recently qualified accountant to join their Product Control team on an initial 6-month basis. The successful candidate will be focused on producing reports regarding the Trading division's profit and loss, and will likely become involved in a number of other functions and projects. This is an excellent opportunity for a driven and motivated individual to develop upon their experience within a fast-paced investment banking environment and has good potential to become longer-term for the right candidate.
- Preparing the daily profit and loss account for trading desks, involving an assessment of the nature of revenue generated in the context of market moves and risk held as well as reconciliation between front office systems and sub-ledger as well as the firm’s general ledger.
- Producing and reviewing profit and loss attribution and commentary for the bank’s trading, investing and new issuance businesses.
- Intelligently reviewing trading activity with the objective of forming a view around the valuation of the portfolio and also highlighting anything unusual or material to management. Identifying any trades booked incorrectly in the firm’s trade processing systems.
- Producing and analysing balance sheets for the trading desk and understanding as well as explaining any moves.
- Preparing monthly accounts for posting to the firm’s general ledger and producing/reviewing relevant external disclosures.
- Monthly price verification review and challenge of trader inputs into inventory pricing as well as incremental assessment of less observable inputs.
- Interacting effectively and pro-actively with traders and their management.
- Assessing risk inherent in trading positions, whether market, compliance or reputational risk etc.
- Developing an in depth knowledge of products and market awareness.
- Understanding of the impact of regulatory capital rules on a trading desk’s ongoing and new business.
- Ensuring compliance with all the Firm’s financial reporting requirements.
- Accounting and monitoring for the Firm’s secured and unsecured financing activities.
- Liaising with other departments in a collaborative and problem-solving capacity.
- To be fully informed of all department developments and issues in their trading areas.
- Newly - or recently - qualified accountant (ACA, CPA, ACCA or CIMA) with experience within a leading practice firm (big 4 or top 10).
- Experience working with financial services clients or prior knowledge of the banking industry will be an advantage.
- Highly motivated, with commercial focus and strong analytical and communication skills.
- Team orientated with strong attention to detail.
- Able to demonstrate integrity, professional scepticism, a strong work ethic and a desire for excellence.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and technical aptitude.
- Desire to learn and interest in financial markets and products.
- Demonstrable track record of improving processes and adding value to clients/stakeholders.
To apply for this role, please use the Apply button, or alternatively, email your CV to Samantha van Staden: email@example.com quoting reference SVS51498.
Please note that due to the expected volume of applications, we will only be able to respond to those candidates whose experience matches the requirements of our client. We are sorry, but if you have not heard from us within the next ten days, please assume you have been unsuccessful on this occasion.
Walker Hamill has been a specialist finance and strategy recruiter for 30 years. We have an extensive client group, including major multinational listed organisations, private equity backed businesses and privately owned companies. We recruit across all sectors and have particularly strong client relationships in media, retail, pharma/biotech, technology, property/real estate, leisure and business services. Headquartered in London, we have additional offices in continental Europe. For more information, please see www.walkerhamill.com.