Service Charge Accountant - 5 Month Contract
- Temporary & Contract
- London, UK
- Up to £40,000 per annum, depending on experience
Our client is a FTSE250 property investment firm with offices based in central London. They are seeking an individual with at least two years of previous service charge accounting experience to join their Property team on an initial five-month basis, although this role has the potential to become longer-term for the right individual. This role will be reporting into the Head of Property Management and requires availability for a January start date.
- Carry out and support the service charge budget and reconciliation processes by completing assigned tasks in an accurate and timely manner.
- Undertake quarterly reviews of all service charge expenses on assigned properties to check for posting accuracy. Provide summary reports to the Property & Facilities Managers.
- Perform quarterly, half-yearly, and annual period-end accounting tasks as required by the company's Group reporting timetable.
- Assist the Property & Facilities Managers with the creation of annual service charge budgets and associated reports/analyses.
- Check and review the quarterly service charge demands for accuracy.
- Review service charge caps and update the system with changes as required.
- Review tenant apportionments and work with the Property Manager to resolve any inconsistencies.
- Prepare the year-end service charge reconciliation accounts for the property manager to review, having consulted with the facilities manager prior.
- Work with the Management Accountants to monitor non-recoverable and capital expenditure as well as to assist with internal reporting.
- Maintain tenant and property details in the internal system.
- Administer service charge issues relating to new and expiring leases which arise.
- Assist in the analysis of service charge accounts during the due diligence of new acquisitions and aid in the disposal of assets as instructed by the Head of Property Management.
- Work with internal teams and external consultants to ensure that accurate utility costs and accruals are posted to the service charge.
- Support the wider team and company in the continued improvement of practices and procedures in the pursuit of best practice.
- 2+ years of previous experience as a service charge accountant.
- A strong technical background, demonstrating good working knowledge of the RICS Code of Service Charge Practices and the principles of recoverability as well as an ability to read and understand lease terms.
- Financially literate, with excellent accuracy and attention to detail.
- Experience in calculating and maintaining service charge caps, including complicated caps with exclusions by cost heading or schedule.
- Solid understanding of Excel, with the ability to pick up new systems quickly.
- Some experience working with energy suppliers or consultancies would be advantageous.
To apply for this role, please use the Apply button, or alternatively, email your CV to Samantha van Staden: firstname.lastname@example.org quoting reference SVS52028.
Please note that due to the expected volume of applications, we will only be able to respond to those candidates whose experience matches the requirements of our client. We are sorry, but if you have not heard from us within the next ten days, please assume you have been unsuccessful on this occasion.
Walker Hamill has been a specialist finance and strategy recruiter for over 30 years. We have an extensive client group, including major multinational listed organisations, private equity backed businesses and privately owned companies. We recruit across all sectors and have particularly strong client relationships in media, retail, pharma/biotech, technology, property/real estate, leisure and business services. Headquartered in London, we have additional offices in continental Europe. For more information, please www.walkerhamill.com.