Interim Finance Manager
- Temporary & Contract
- Up to £55,000 pro rata, depending on experience
Our client is a well-known publishing company with international operations which has doubled its UK turnover in the last 4 years. They are seeking an interim Finance Manager to manage three direct reports and support the Head of Finance in leading the operational day-to-day running of the Finance function. This is a maternity cover contract with a start date of mid-October or early November.
- Monitor the day-to-day financial operations of the company, including sales invoicing, cash receipts/payments and other transactions.
- Thoroughly review payment submissions and act as first approver on all payments.
- Supervise and mentor two Management Accountants and one Sales Ledger Clerk.
- Maintain the financial policies and procedures of the company.
- Assist the Head of Finance with management reporting and external returns where required.
- Assist in the preparation of monthly and weekly cash flow forecasts as required.
- Take responsibility for the preparation and review of monthly management accounts for 3 trading entities to tight deadlines, including P&L, balance sheet and cash flow (3 day general ledger close to report to the Group team).
- Oversee and take responsibility for the monthly reconciliation of key control accounts using all bank reconciliations.
- Manage the month-end timetable, overseeing staff to ensure adherence to deadlines.
- Take responsibility for journal sales accruals and general provisions.
- Prepare summaries for the management pack.
- Prepare and deliver the month-end flash sales report to senior management.
- Carry out month-end sales reconciliations for audio and e-book sales.
- Take responsibility for the monthly review of aged debtors and creditors, and follow up outstanding balances as required.
- Maintain and review intercompany balances.
- Support the business with ad hoc requests for financial information.
- Prepare and submit UK Group VAT returns.
- Liaise with auditors on tax matters and information requests (payroll, VAT, corporation tax and international taxes).
- Prepare year-end audit schedules and pre-fieldwork to a tight deadline.
- Work cross-functionally with the Technology team and Finance Systems Manager on transformation projects to improve and automate controls and month-end processes.
- Following the recent implementation of Microsoft Dynamics 365 F&O, identify and implement ways to make optimal use of the system to drive improvements in the month-end close process and management accounts reporting.
- Qualified or part-qualified Accountant (ACA, ACCA, CIMA or equivalent).
- Strong hands-on experience in the preparation of management accounts within industry.
- Previous experience preparing and submitting UK VAT returns, with a sound grasp of UK VAT rules.
- Knowledge of sales ledger, sales invoicing and accrued income processes.
- Strong working knowledge of Excel and finance software.
- Previous experience managing a small team is advantageous.
- Ability to lead, work as a team as well as independently, delegating and managing the work of others as required.
- Strong communicator, able to work with staff and external bodies at all levels.
- Able to prioritise and work to tight deadlines.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Dynamics 365.
- Publishing industry experience (including knowledge of stock, royalties and advances) is advantageous but not required.
To apply for this role, please use the Apply button, or alternatively, email your CV to Samantha van Staden: firstname.lastname@example.org quoting reference SVS53030.
Please note that due to the expected volume of applications, we will only be able to respond to those candidates whose experience matches the requirements of our client. We are sorry, but if you have not heard from us within the next ten days, please assume you have been unsuccessful on this occasion.
Walker Hamill has been a specialist finance and strategy recruiter for over 30 years. We have an extensive client group, including major multinational listed organisations, private equity backed businesses and privately owned companies. We recruit across all sectors and have particularly strong client relationships in media, retail, pharma/biotech, technology, property/real estate, leisure and business services. Headquartered in London, we have additional offices in continental Europe. For more information, please see www.walkerhamill.com.